Photo source: beautysouthafrica.com
Your third trimester is often spent making final preparations for baby: nurseries are decorated, supplies are purchased and baby showers are celebrated. In addition to these nesting rituals, it’s also time to think about what to pack in your hospital bag. Since labor can be unpredictable in terms of timing, packing a bag before your due date will help you feel prepared and ready for when baby decides to make his or her grand entrance into the world. We’ve paired our recommendations with tips from The Bump to create a simple-to-follow checklist:
- 2-3 pairs of warm, non-skid socks or slippers for walking the halls before and after labor:
We recommend our Bump in the Night Slippers which are warm, cozy and easy to put on and take off as needed.
We like our Bump In The Night™ Empire Waist Nursing Robe which comes as a set including a comfortable, matching nursing nightgown.
- 2 maternity bras without underwire:
We recommend our Seamless Lift Up Nursing Bra: the material is soft, comfortable and easy to adjust.Try our Jessica Simpson Seamless Clip Down Nursing Bra which easily clips down for feeding.
- A few pairs of maternity underwear:
We like our 3 Pack of Maternity Fold Over Panties: adjustable to your liking, you can wear them over your bump or folded down for added comfort.
- Lip balm (hospitals are very dry) and moisturizer:
Eos Smooth Sphere Lip Balm comes in a 3 pack and is made with nourishing shea butter, vitamin e and jojoba oil. As an added bonus, it’s also gluten-free, paraben-free, petrolatum-free and phthalate-free. Body Boost’s Fragrance Free Stretch Mark Butter moisturizes to renew stretched skin and also relieves itchiness from dry conditions.
- A change of clothes for the trip home:
Comfort is key! Layer up in a super-soft, Jersey Knit Maternity Hoodie paired with a relaxed fit maternity tank top. Fold Over Jersey Knit Yoga Pants are soft and adjustable for a fit that feels best.
Posted by destinationmaternity on February 28, 2014
butter™ LONDON is the authority in fashion-forward nail color. Worn by models on runways around the world, butter LONDON is inspired by rock and roll, self-expression and the beauty of creativity. In addition to their unparalleled assortment of bold, stunning shades, butter LONDON nail lacquer is formulated without harsh chemicals such as Formaldehyde, Toluene, DBP, phthalates or parabens.
In honor of the launch of butter LONDON at A Pea in the Pod, we are giving away all ten colors, their nail foundation and top coat, plus their signature Body Lotion and soothing Balm to one lucky mom-to-be. This is a giveaway you do not want to miss!
Enter for your chance to win here. Hurry, giveaway ends Tuesday, 3/4!
Posted by destinationmaternity on February 26, 2014
On Wednesday February 19th, bloggers and editors attended a special breakfast to preview Destination Maternity’s newest beauty and skincare brands for mom and baby. Butter London, Clark’s Botanicals, Sanctuary Spa, Noodle and Boo, Juice Beauty, Perfect Pearl, The Honest Company, Naturopathica, Sophie la Girafe Baby, Basq Skin Care, Body Boost and Mama Mio were all in attendance to speak to guests about their new product offerings. Butter London provided mini-manicures with our new assortment of pretty polishes. Basq Skin Care offered rejuvenating chair massages and Mama Mio pampered guests with hand and arm massages, all while sipping fresh-pressed juices and enjoying breakfast treats from The Butcher’s Daughter.
To shop our newest skincare and beauty brands, please visit a Destination Maternity store near you, or click here to shop online.
Posted by destinationmaternity on February 21, 2014
Though we’re still in the thick of winter, spring’s light colors and airy fabrics have us excited for the season ahead. From lightening up with healthier food to partaking in a more natural route when it comes to makeup, we hope these four things inspire you to look beyond the snow, slush and breezy temps in favor of the warmth ahead.
A cinch to make and delicious to down, this healthy and naturally sweet strawberry smoothie is just the kick start we need morning, noon or night.
Floral is everywhere this spring, and this Jessica Simpson maternity blouse in pretty pastels is the perfect way to showcase the trend.
Exude your innate glow by utilizing these easy and effective natural beauty tips – the perfect way to refresh and renew your look.
Adorable, useful and perfectly DIY, these fabric coasters are a fabulous (and easy) way to add a touch of new to your spring décor.
Posted by destinationmaternity on February 12, 2014
Brand-new and already high on the must-have list of moms and moms-to-be, The Honest Company has made its arrival to our family and we couldn’t be more excited about it! Founded by four people – Jessica Alba, Christopher Gavigan, Brian Lee and Sean Kane – who set out to create effective, eco-friendly, affordable, beautiful and safe baby products, they have done just that in as little as two years!
And now, new to A Pea in the Pod and Destination Maternity, you can find five of their naturally nourishing products made just for mom: Organic Belly Balm, Body Oil, Face + Body Lotion, Organic Nipple Balm, and Shampoo + Body Wash.
View and shop our collection of Honest available at both A Pea in the Pod and Destination Maternity!
Posted by destinationmaternity on February 11, 2014
From the sheer excitement that comes with carrying a baby to the underlying stresses and dare we say it, slight fears, pregnancy in itself is a whirlwind. Doing what you can to stay calm, cool and collected during these precious nine months – and through labor, too – will help you to center yourself in a peaceful state of mind. From our friends over at Fit Pregnancy, here are their five meditation techniques that are simple to do, yet reap great mental, physical and emotions rewards.
- Deep Belly Meditation – Place your hands on your belly, gently cradling the baby. As you breathe, observe the sensations felt beneath your hands – warmth, movement, etc. Continue to breathe slowly, in and out. If your mind wanders off or if a thought arises, breathe deeper into your belly and let it float away. Try doing this for five minutes each day, gradually adding more time each week.
- Mama Mantra – Delve into your inner strength by giving yourself words to live by. Whether to get you through a difficult yoga pose or while enduring a strenuous labor or stage of pregnancy, there is power in your own words. Tell yourself what you need to hear, as only you know it best: “Push through the pain; breath deep, mama. Stay strong for baby.”
- Visualization Technique: See the Wave – Through visualization (meditation combined with mental imagery), our strong bodies can actually decrease the intensity of pain – an invaluable tool during labor. The plan: “View each contraction as a wave in the ocean. Watch it slowly peak in intensity and then allow it to slowly come down. See yourself as a jellyfish, allowing that wave to wash through you.”
- The “Blossoming Lotus” – A sacred flower representing all that is pure and deeply spiritual in many cultures; use the lotus flower as a visualization tool during labor: “Visualize your cervix as a blossoming lotus flower. Upon every contraction, visualize and chant, “’Open, open, open.’”
- Relax the “Third Eye” – During labor or stressful times in your pregnancy, do your best to relax your “third eye”, the space between your eyebrows. Lying directly behind it is the light-sensitive pineal gland, which produces serotonin, the hormone that affects your wake-sleep patterns and energy levels. Doing your best to “control” this offers the chance for maximum relaxation.
Posted by destinationmaternity on February 4, 2014
An essential for the nursing mama, nursing bras provide the comfort, fit and ease of use needed to nourish your newborn. Unlike regular fashion bras, which lack the construction needed to provide the necessary support and comfort you need, maternity bras are designed to accommodate your growing size while also helping to lessen the onset of stretch marks (serious bonus)!
Because they are sure to become a go-to, daily favorite, we suggest purchasing at least four maternity bras: one to wear, one to wash, one to spare and one to sleep. Whether you prefer underwire or wireless, a sport bra or sleep style, there’s a flattering, must-have essential for every new mom!
Check out our Size Chart for all of the information you need to purchase the maternity nursing bra that fits you to a tee! From our detailed Measuring Guide and Bra Size Calculator to fit tips provided by our Nursing Bra Guide, it’s hard to go wrong (or resist) these maternity musts.
Shop our vast selection of maternity bras at Destination Maternity!
Posted by destinationmaternity on January 27, 2014
The New Year is the perfect time to kick start an active lifestyle, and better yet, an active pregnancy! Take on your next walk, trip to the gym or yoga class in either of these flattering and stylish maternity tops that both customers and staff are loving. Ultra-soft and super chic, this Long Sleeve French Terry maternity Pull Over is a closet must; layer it over our Short Sleeve Scoop Neck Screen Print Maternity T Shirt that will do the job in motivating you every single day!
Shop maternity activewear from Destination Maternity!
Posted by destinationmaternity on January 20, 2014
With the long, cold days of winter remaining in the foreseeable forecast, weekends spent indoors are much to be adored. From comforting eats and cozy knits to adding a touch of brightness and nesting away, we hope you will find the following four things as fabulous as we do.
Wake up to the sinfully delicious smell – and scrumptious taste – of Baked Cinnamon Raisin French Toast, hot out of the oven.
Wrap your bump in luxury by slipping into this Joie Maternity Sweater, the perfect topper for leggings, jeans or your coziest pajamas.
Put the dew back into your skin by dabbing on some highlighter for a refreshingly glowing look.
Bold, bright and beautiful, this orange and turquoise nursery is a fresh haven for your little one.
Posted by destinationmaternity on January 18, 2014