From the sheer excitement that comes with carrying a baby to the underlying stresses and dare we say it, slight fears, pregnancy in itself is a whirlwind. Doing what you can to stay calm, cool and collected during these precious nine months – and through labor, too – will help you to center yourself in a peaceful state of mind. From our friends over at Fit Pregnancy, here are their five meditation techniques that are simple to do, yet reap great mental, physical and emotions rewards.
- Deep Belly Meditation – Place your hands on your belly, gently cradling the baby. As you breathe, observe the sensations felt beneath your hands – warmth, movement, etc. Continue to breathe slowly, in and out. If your mind wanders off or if a thought arises, breathe deeper into your belly and let it float away. Try doing this for five minutes each day, gradually adding more time each week.
- Mama Mantra – Delve into your inner strength by giving yourself words to live by. Whether to get you through a difficult yoga pose or while enduring a strenuous labor or stage of pregnancy, there is power in your own words. Tell yourself what you need to hear, as only you know it best: “Push through the pain; breath deep, mama. Stay strong for baby.”
- Visualization Technique: See the Wave – Through visualization (meditation combined with mental imagery), our strong bodies can actually decrease the intensity of pain – an invaluable tool during labor. The plan: “View each contraction as a wave in the ocean. Watch it slowly peak in intensity and then allow it to slowly come down. See yourself as a jellyfish, allowing that wave to wash through you.”
- The “Blossoming Lotus” – A sacred flower representing all that is pure and deeply spiritual in many cultures; use the lotus flower as a visualization tool during labor: “Visualize your cervix as a blossoming lotus flower. Upon every contraction, visualize and chant, “’Open, open, open.’”
- Relax the “Third Eye” – During labor or stressful times in your pregnancy, do your best to relax your “third eye”, the space between your eyebrows. Lying directly behind it is the light-sensitive pineal gland, which produces serotonin, the hormone that affects your wake-sleep patterns and energy levels. Doing your best to “control” this offers the chance for maximum relaxation.
Posted by destinationmaternity on February 4, 2014
Does the New Year have you making a resolution to get active and stay that way? What better way to keep this promise to yourself than to dress the part! From formfitting tunics and tanks to slimming leggings and yoga pants, our active styles will have you longing to hit the gym, the trail or one of our fabulous Learning Studio classes! Good for the mama-to-be and even better for your baby, take an active approach to your pregnancy during these nine months and beyond when donning some of our most beloved active styles.
Wear your thoughts on your tee in this stretchy screen print I Love Your Already Maternity T Shirt.
Layer up for your walk outdoors in this stylishly flattering ¾ Sleeve French Terry Maternity Sweatshirt.
Convenient, comfortable and supportive, stay active in this wireless Sports Clip Down Nursing Bra.
An active essential, go long and lean in our beloved Secret Fit Belly® French Terry Maternity Leggings.
Namaste your way through your practice in one of these two BumpStart 2-Pack Maternity Yoga Pants.
Posted by destinationmaternity on January 16, 2014
Welcome to The Weekly Find, featuring a favorite new arrival paired with this, and that.
This week’s find: Plus Size Long Sleeve Side Ruched Maternity Hoodie from Motherhood Maternity.
Why it’s a winner: Comfortable and flattering all in one, this plus size hoodie is sure to become a wardrobe staple. Whether heading to and from yoga or lounging in the comfort of your own home, the stretch fabric, side ruching and formfitting silhouette is just what your bump craves.
Pair it with this: Plus Size Secret Fit Belly® Jersey Knit Maternity Yoga Pants, and that: You Glow Girl Plus Size Maternity Tee.
Shop Plus Activewear.
Posted by destinationmaternity on January 15, 2014
Yoga pants are fast becoming an essential item in the casual wardrobe. Worn with anything from tunics to tees, these comfortable, bump-hugging bottoms can serve as a base for some adorable, active outfits.
Pair our super comfortable under belly cropped yoga pants with a cool, grey side-ruched tank: The stretch fabric and racerback shape allows you to keep cool, comfortable and stylish as you Namaste. Try a lightweight pullover in pretty pastel pink for a brisk morning walk. If you’re feeling particularly fun, this graphic tee will show off your bump in style at prenatal Pilates!
Shop these active styles at Destination Maternity!
Posted by destinationmaternity on July 26, 2013