Let’s take a minute to appreciate the almighty avocado. To celebrate Cinco de Mayo, we’re mixing up the classic guacamole. And no, we do not charge extra for our guac!
To begin, avocados are amazing for pregnant women. They have folic acid; they have calcium; they have vitamins; they have minerals and they have that healthy fat which boosts brain power for both mommy and baby.
Our first recipe is the plain ol’ guacamole… as simple as it is scrumptious.
- Deshell and mash up 3 avocados, mix in ½ of a finely chopped red onion, add in about ¼ cup of cilantro (do less if that just isn’t your taste), pour in the juice of ½ of a lime, sprinkle in salt and black pepper until you can’t resist the creamy goodness. You can also add in 1 cup of cherry tomatoes for more texture. Get your favorite chips or pitas and dip away. If you want a creamier guac with a tangy finish, replace 1 of the avocados with ¼ cup of Greek yogurt.
Let’s sweeten the deal with some fruity guacamole ideas.
- Get the flesh of 2 large avocados all mashed and smooth, leave some chunks if you desire, then mix in ¼ cup of pine nuts, a ½ cup of pomegranate seeds, pour in the juice of 1 lime, then season with salt and pepper.
- To make your guacamole even fruitier, replace the pine nuts with ½ cup of finely chopped pineapple, replace the pomegranate seeds (or keep them!) with ½ cup small chunks of mango, add 2 jalapeño peppers that are both seeded and finely chopped. Add a minced garlic clove in there too. You can add ¼ cup of onions if you want as well. Continue with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Not into trop guac? How about strawberry peach guacamole? Mix 3 avocados with 1 cup chopped strawberries, 2 peeled and chopped peaches, the juice of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon basil. Fresh and ready to be dipped and devoured.
Wait… there’s more!
- Need a simple and satisfying guacamole recipe? Make the classic recipe, add in ¼ cup of feta cheese and chopped up bacon. You’re welcome!